The Monaco striker has been called up to the Colombia squad for this month’s World Cup qualifiers, ending an international exile of over a year
Radamel Falcao is delighted after earning a recall to the Colombia squad for this month’s World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Argentina.
Wenger’s record vs Spurs
The AS Monaco striker, who scored his first goals in the Champions League in six years in his side’s 3-0 win over CSKA Moscow on Wednesday, has been included in Jose Pekerman’s squad for the first time in 388 days.
The former Manchester United and Chelsea loanee, who has scored six goals in nine games this season, admitted that it was “special” to earn back his place after struggling for form and fitness for much of the last two years.
He wrote on his official Instagram page: “Happy to come back and play with my national team. It is a special time for me. I have been working hard for this. I am focus [sic] to give the best of me.”
The Colombia international scored his first Champions League goals since 2010 on Wednesday, and he wants to keep up that form for the Ligue 1 side
Radamel Falcao is targeting more goals for Monaco after ending a six-year wait to score in the Champions League during Wednesday’s win over CSKA Moscow.
Bale sets Real Madrid record
The 30-year-old scored twice in the first half of the 3-0 win after Valere Germain had put the home side ahead at Stade Louis II.
Falcao, whose last goals in the competition came for Porto in February 2010, was relieved to make his mark and wants to sustain his goalscoring form in Saturday’s Ligue 1 clash with Nancy.
“We’re very happy with the victory and we’ll try to defend first place,” he said. “I’ve never played in the Champions League for Monaco. They were my first two goals with Monaco and it was a good win for the team.
“I hope to score more for my team. The most important thing is that Monaco achieve their objectives.
Dembele limps off for Spurs
“I feel good physically at the moment, I played 70 minutes at a good rhythm. I hope to continue on Saturday.”
Monaco’s win has put them two points clear at the top of Group E with two matches to play.
After suffering a serious knee injury the experienced striker then suffered out on loan to the two English clubs, scoring just five goals in two seasons
Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim criticised Radamel Falcao’s decision to go out on loan to Manchester United and Chelsea as the Colombia striker attempts to rediscover his best form.
Falcao suffered a serious knee injury midway through his first season at Monaco and was sent out on loan to United for the 2014-15 Premier League campaign, only to move on to Chelsea the following term.
‘Spain could recall David Villa’
But he failed to impress in England, netting just five goals in all competitions for the two clubs.
Back in France and Ligue 1, Falcao already has two goals in four appearances and, while questioning his time in the Premier League, Jardim insisted the 30-year-old remains one of the world’s best strikers.
“The problem with Falcao is not only his knee injury, it is also the fact that he left to play two seasons in Manchester and Chelsea,” said Jardim.
“He tried to keep playing at a high level when normally when you have an injury like this, you stay in your club to try to come back faster.
“When a player is injured, normally they do not change club. It’s not easy to recover and play along. Players are not machines.”
Jardim continued: “I do not know if it was a mistake, but it did not work well. He did not play, but it is not a problem of quality because he remains one of the best strikers.
“He has not changed. He’s only 30 years old. Here our aim is to help him back to his level.”
Falcao scored on his comeback from concussion in a 6-2 win against Montpellier last week and the former Atletico Madrid star will be eager to add to his tally when Monaco face Saint-Etienne on Saturday.
Only three years ago, Radamel Falcao was untouchable. He was possibly the world’s most prolific striker with one of the greatest goals to games ratios in the history of football. That all changed after the player suffered an anterior-cruciate injury in 2014, which caused him to lose the deadly acceleration he used to rely on to poach goals. Now back at Monaco and struggling with injury concerns once again, fans are wondering whether El Tigre will ever be able to return to excellence and justify his whopping transfer tag.
When Monaco signed Falcao for €60million in 2013, they were expecting to have the most dangerous striker on the continent at their disposal, in the hope of pushing for a first Ligue 1 win since the turn of the millennium. Paris Saint-Germain continue to be the dominant force in the French top flight however, with the latest Ligue 1 betting odds placing them at 2/9 to storm to the title again. After nine rounds of fixtures, Monaco sit third in the league- four points behind the champions.
When he joined Monaco, Falcao was coming off the back of two incredible seasons with Atletico Madrid (see below) where he had notched up 53 goals in 69 appearances. Instead of carrying on this explosive form, though, the man nicknamed “The King of the Europa League” had his first season cut drastically short by the harrowing knee injury that he has never bounced back from.
Failed loan spells at Manchester United and Chelsea may have served to improve Falcao’s fitness levels, but his failure to recapture any of his past form and his banishment to the bench for the majority of the fixtures was a huge blow to the striker’s confidence. In 36 appearances at both clubs he only managed to muster a total of 5 goals. The idea behind the loan spells wasn’t only to cut wage costs, but was also to slowly coax the 30-year-old back to his best. When he returned to Monaco, however, the Ligue 1 club retained a player who was psychologically battered and bruised.
In the summer, Falcao gave fans a cause for optimism. He began pre-season in fine fettle, bagging a brace and a goal in successive matches against Sporting Lisbon and Zenit Saint Petersburg. The Colombian said that he was beginning to feel as though he was in good shape, and was looking forward to the season ahead. Unfortunately, thigh and head injuries have meant he has only made four appearances so far this season, scoring one goal in the process.
Looking at the recent resurgence of Fernando Torres could provide Falcao fans with a glimmer of hope. The Spaniard peaked at Liverpool, scoring an impressive 65 goals in 102 Premier League appearances. He suffered the exact same injury as Falcao towards the end of his spell on Merseyside, and subsequently his move to Chelsea was a complete failure – he managed to accrue a mere 20 goals in 110 league games. Last season with Atletico Madrid the 32-year-old did manage to find his shooting boots again, though, and put away eleven goals in La Liga.
Falcao hasn’t featured in a game for Monaco since suffering from a concussion on 21 September. Encouragingly however, he is back in training and could soon return to the starting line-up. This could be the make-or-break season for the former Atletico man, and fans are sure to be willing him back to his former brilliance.
The derby clash had been billed as a straight shootout between the two strikers and it was the Italian who came out on top with a brace
Mario Balotelli continued his impressive start to life in Ligue 1 as his brace in a 4-0 rout of rivals Monaco sent Nice to the top of the table.
The controversial Italy international left Liverpool for Nice on a free transfer in the last window and made it four goals in two league appearances with his brace in Wednesday’s derby at the Allianz Riviera.
Paul Baysse had already headed Nice into a 17th-minute lead by the time Balotelli raced into the area and drilled a shot into the far corner.
The former AC Milan striker then doubled his tally for the evening and the season in the 68th minute when he swept home first time inside the penalty area.
Balotelli missed out on the chance to make it a hat-trick as he had already been replaced when Nice were awarded a penalty for Tiemoue Bakayoko’s challenge on Valentin Eysseric that earned the Monaco defender a red card.
Alassane Plea, Balotelli’s replacement, saw his spot-kick saved by Danijel Subasic, but made amends moments later by nodding home Wylan Cyprien’s cross to complete a comprehensive victory for Lucien Favre’s men.
Monaco’s unbeaten league run consequently came to an abrupt halt, while Nice hold a one-point lead at the summit over champions Paris Saint-Germain.
The striker is still suffering from concussion after clashing with Nice goalkeeper Yoan Cardinale, prompting the Monaco coach to call for stricter rules
Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim confirmed Radamel Falcao remains in hospital after suffering a concussion in Wednesday’s 4-0 Ligue 1 defeat to Nice.
Falcao went to the ground in first-half stoppage time after a bad collision with Nice goalkeeper Yoan Cardinale and was taken to hospital for a series of tests.
And Jardim voiced his dismay with the referee’s decision not to penalise Cardinale for reckless behaviour, calling for stricter rules for custodians.
READ MORE | Jardim: Falcao needs to play more to reach his peak
“Falcao is still in hospital after suffering a concussion,” Jardim told reporters at press news conference.
“The referees have to pay closer attention and punish actions like this. It should have been a red card in my opinion.
“When a player takes such a risk [to injure an opponent], there has to be some sort of punishment.”
The defeat in the top-of-the-table clash saw Monaco drop to third place in the Ligue 1 table.
The Colombian scored his first Ligue 1 goal in more than two years at the weekend but his trainer says he still needs to prove his fitness
Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim has urged patience with Radamel Falcao, stating he is unsure whether the striker is fully fit and ready to complete 90 minutes for the Ligue 1 leaders.
Falcao scored his first goal in France’s top flight since August 2014 in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Rennes, following two unsuccessful seasons on loan with Manchester United and Chelsea.
Nevertheless, Jardim is keen to play down expectations surrounding the Colombia international, whose struggles can be traced back to a cruciate knee ligament injury that forced him to miss the 2014 World Cup.
“It’s normal that he is not at 100 per cent because he did not play for a month,” Jardim told a press conference ahead of Wednesday’s derby against second-place Nice.
READ MORE | Falcao scores on Monaco return
“He needs to play more and more to reach his level. I don’t know if he’ll be able to play 90 minutes. We’ll see what happens, and we’ll have to substitute him if needed.”
Regardless of which players he selects to see out the match against Nice, Jardim insists there is no way any of his squad should be lacking for motivation at the Allianz Riviera.
“I think that playing a derby is very good, it’s a very important game for our fans and for us,” he said.
“I think this year it’ll be a bigger game because it’s first against second and I think it’s been many years since we’ve had this derby with the two teams at the top of the league.
“Because of all this, we have all the reasons to play a good game.”